Earth Defense Force 2025 or EDF 4 in Japan is the upcoming 4th main installment of the series and 6th overall installment including GDF Tactics and Insect Armageddon. It is being developed by Sandlot and is to be published by D3 Publisher. It is due to be released in North America on February 18, 2014.
The Earth Defense Force, a unified multinational military sponsored by nearly every country, is founded after detecting an impending alien visit in case the aliens prove to be hostile. The year 2017 that proved to be true and the EDF fought against the Ravagers, an alien race that attacked Earth with giant insect-like creatures, UFOs, robots and gigantic, 120 foot tall lizard-like creatures. After defeating the last one in Arizona, eight years later they attack again with new creatures, evolved from their underground nest. Among them is the Retiarius, a spider-like creature that makes gigantic spider-webs, and new flying, winged creatures. In the year 2025, the EDF must protect the Earth again from the alien invaders.
Unlike earlier games, EDF 2025 utilizes four "new" classes, all of these are based off of the Trooper, Tactical, Battle and the Pale Wing/Jet Armor seen in earlier games. Players have the ability to change armor colors for all classes. The four EDF soldier class divisions are:
- Ranger: Composed by foot infantry capable of use several vehicles and mechas. Presumably based on the Trooper class found in all EDF games.
- Wing Diver: An airborne class composed exclusively by females that use high tech weaponry and jet packs. Based on the Pale Wing and similar to the Jet Armor.
- Air Raider: A class specialized in the assistance of infantry and airborne soldiers, capable to deploy health recovery field generators and force shields, summon vehicles into the battlefield and order air raids over designated targets. It is based on the Tactical Armor.
- Fencer: A heavy unit equipped with heavy weapons, a spear as a melee weapon and a shield. It has the ability to dual wield weapons. Highly based on the Battle Armor due to its attributes.
In Earth Defense Force 2025, the player takes control of a single EDF soldier class of their choice, utilizing a huge range of weaponry including but not limited to assault rifles, sniper rifles, rocket launchers, grenades and laser weapons. New weapons includes remote bomb launchers, decoy launchers and many more. Players can select two to four weapons per mission, depending on their class.
The missions don't contain vehicles anymore. Only the Air Raider is able to equip vehicles and bring them into battle. He needs a certain amount of points (gained by killing enemies) to summon them (most missions start with him having enough to summon the majority of regular sized vehicles for the 1st time). Some examples of his vehicles: tank, APC, helicopter, bipedal mecha and more.
The game takes place across levels featuring destructible environments, taking place in settings such as cities. Like previous games such as Earth Defence Force: 2017 the players will not be penalized for destroying buildings. Throughout missions A.I controlled EDF soldiers can be recruited or followed, and attack enemies on sight, as well as provide radio chatter.
There are several difficulty levels. More effective weapons are dropped by the enemies in the game at the higher difficulty levels, encouraging players to repeat the missions. In addition to weapons, armor enhancements which function as permanent maximum health bonuses are dropped along with healing items.
Downloadable ContentEditPlayers will receive DLC bonuses for the Japanese version, including exclusive content for purchasing the game at some web retailers:
- BMO3 Vegalta Gold (Air Raiders): Available Everywhere - A gold mecha armed with twin flamethrowers and reflects radar waves. In addition it has short flight capabilities.
- Reflection Laser: (Wing Divers): GEO (PS3) and Amazon (Xbox 360) - A special laser cannon that can be reflected many times, creating a zigzag.
- Mian/Setsu Pure Decoy Launcher (Air Raiders & Rangers): D3P Web Shop (PS3, Xbox 360) - A Special launcher with Dream Club character-themed balloons that act as decoys. They can attract enemy attention and explode.
On July 4, 2013 a free weapon pack will be released featuring four weapons with special abilities:
- Volatile Napalm (Rangers): Grenade Launcher that fires explosive incendiary grenades seting anything on fire
- Glepinir (Wing Divers): Energy weapon that fires homing lasers that shoots projectiles at nearby enemies
- Efreet (Fencers): Shoots rockets filled with fire bombs that incinerates a large area
- Bloodstorm (Fencers): A Giant Missile that explodes into a hailstorm of homing missiles