Earth Defense Force 2025 or EDF 4 in Japan is the 4th main installment of the series and 6th overall installment including GDF Tactics and Insect Armageddon. It was developed by Sandlot and published by D3 Publisher. It was released in Japan on July 4, 2013; North America on February 18, 2014; and in Europe on February 21, 2014. A stand-alone expansion to the game that presumably expands upon the existing storyline, Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair, is expected to be released in late 2015. it is the first in the series to be Rated M for Mature Due to blood and violence and gore.
The Earth Defense Force, a unified multinational military sponsored by nearly every country, is founded after detecting an impending alien visit in case the aliens prove to be hostile. The year 2017 that proved to be true and the EDF fought against the Ravagers, an alien race that attacked Earth with giant insect-like creatures, UFOs, robots and gigantic, 120 foot tall lizard-like creatures. After defeating the last one in Arizona, the world is seemingly safe until eight years later in September of 2025 when they attack again with new creatures, evolved from their underground nest. Among them is the Retiarius, a spider-like creature that makes gigantic spider-webs, and new flying, winged creatures. In the year 2025, the EDF must protect the Earth again from the alien invaders.♥
Unfortunately, the hero who saved the world 8 years prior mysteriously disappeared after that event, and is no longer thought to be around to aid the Earth in its new time of need.
Unlike earlier games, EDF 2025 utilizes four "new" classes, all of these are based off of the Trooper, Tactical, Battle and the Pale Wing/Jet Armor seen in earlier games. Players have the ability to change armor colors for all classes. The four EDF soldier class divisions are:
- Ranger: Composed by foot infantry capable of use several vehicles and mechas. Based on the Trooper class found in all EDF games.
- Wing Diver: An airborne class composed exclusively by females that use high tech weaponry and jet packs. Based on the Pale Wing and similar to the Jet Armor.
- Air Raider: A class specialized in the assistance of infantry and airborne soldiers, capable to deploy health recovery field generators and force shields, summon vehicles into the battlefield and order air raids over designated targets. It is based on the Tactical Armor.
- Fencer: A heavy unit equipped with heavy weapons, a spear as a melee weapon and a shield. It has the ability to dual wield weapons. Highly based on the Battle Armor due to its attributes.
In Earth Defense Force 2025, the player takes control of a single EDF soldier class of their choice, utilizing a huge range of weaponry including but not limited to assault rifles, sniper rifles, rocket launchers, grenades and laser weapons. New weapons includes remote bomb launchers, decoy launchers and many more. Players can select two to four weapons per mission, depending on their class.
The missions don't contain vehicles anymore. Only the Air Raider is able to equip vehicles and bring them into battle. He needs a certain amount of points (gained by killing enemies) to summon them (most missions start with him having enough to summon the majority of regular sized vehicles for the 1st time). Some examples of his vehicles: tank, APC, helicopter, bipedal mecha and more.
The game takes place across levels featuring destructible environments, taking place in settings such as cities. Like previous games such as Earth Defence Force: 2017 the players will not be penalized for destroying buildings. Throughout missions A.I controlled EDF soldiers can be recruited or followed, and attack enemies on sight, as well as provide radio chatter.
There are several difficulty levels. More effective weapons are dropped by the enemies in the game at the higher difficulty levels, encouraging players to repeat the missions. In addition to weapons, armor enhancements which function as permanent maximum health bonuses are dropped along with healing items.
Players will receive DLC bonuses for the Japanese version, including exclusive content for purchasing the game at some web retailers:
- BMO3 Vegalta Gold (Air Raiders): Available Everywhere - A gold mecha armed with twin flamethrowers and reflects radar waves. In addition it has short flight capabilities.
- Reflectron Laser: (Wing Divers): GEO (PS3) and Amazon (Xbox 360) - A special laser cannon that can be reflected many times, creating a zigzag which can kill you in seconds if used incorrectly.
- Mian/Setsu Pure Decoy Launcher (Air Raiders & Rangers): D3P Web Shop (PS3, Xbox 360) - A Special launcher with Dream Club character-themed balloons that act as decoys. They can attract enemy attention and explode.
On July 4, 2013 a free weapon pack will be released featuring four weapons with special abilities:
- Volatile Napalm (Rangers): Grenade Launcher that fires explosive incendiary grenades seting anything on fire
- Glepinir (Wing Divers): Energy weapon that fires homing lasers that shoots projectiles at nearby enemies
- Efreet (Fencers): Shoots rockets filled with fire bombs that incinerates a large area
- Bloodstorm (Fencers): A Giant Missile that explodes into a hailstorm of homing missiles
There are 85 original missions.
- Reconvene: Emergency dispatch request. We have reports of "huge bug" sightings. Probably a prank after so many years, but I want you to check the location.
- Spreading Disaster: Dispatch request from the civilians. A huge monster has appeared in the city. Be careful, it spits a powerful acid that can cause serious damage. Head out there and good luck.
- Winged War Goddess: A gigantic alien creature has appeared in the residential area. You must protect the civilians!
- Setting Sun: We've lost communication with the Wing Diver team. Head to their last location and support the Wing Divers.
- Wind Break: Emergency support request. The Wing Diver team is engaged with a very strong enemy and is taking heavy casualties. Their engagement location is not far from here. You are to head out immediately, destroy the monsters and rescue the surviving Wing Divers.
- Underground Cave: A giant bug nest has spread out under the city. We cannot allow it to remain intact! We will now start to infiltrate their burrows. Move out immediately and report to the local Ranger team for further instructions.
- Eruption: Emergency support request. Giant spiders have emerged from underground. They've invaded the city and are attacking citizens. These are a formidable enemy and there are a great many of them. The Air Raiders are taking point. Air Raiders, move out!
- Retaliation: Ranger tea is fighting a gigantic creature in the residential area. Head out and support.
- Beach Fear: Dispatch request to the port area. A Retiarius has been spotted. You're to go investigate.
- The Return: Destroy the giant creature in the city! A Ravager mothership is approaching the area and will be engaged by our Air Force. Ground troops, focus on the creature.
- Air Force: The mothership is launching flying drones. These drones are automatic weapons that appear to be targeting people. They are terrifying slaughter machines which never tire. They must be stopped before they eliminate all the citizens!
- Day of the Demons: Ravager transport ships are flying over the city. They must intend to drop more aliens on the population. Head out and protect the civilians from attack.
- Takedown: The enemy transport ships are continuing their drops and causing more damage. Our aircraft haven't made a dent due to the transport ship's thick armor. But intel may have a solution. We must attack when they make their drops, through the open hatch and destroy it from the inside. The hatch is only accessible from the ground, so it's up to you. Equip with long-range weapons and move out.
- Preventing Landfall: We have confirmation that the mothership is travelling offshore. The mothership has dropped several Hectors, a walking battle troop, and they are attempting to make landfall. We'll set up a shore defense and coordinate with aerial troops for support from the air.
- Land Collapse: The aliens are digging tunnels to move under the city. A tunnel entrance has been confirmed in the city. Alien monsters have been emerging from it and soon the city will be overrun! We need to destroy the tunnel entrance and stop any more of those filthy creatures from emerging. You are going to the location.
- Fortress Siege: The Ravagers have begun a serious offensive. They've begun simultaneous attacks in several areas, and they're using a giant walking fortress, 200 meters long. It is formidable, with weapons bristling on its gigantic frame. The attack aircraft Midnight has been dispatched to destroy it. We are to attack the fortress' legs, and then defeat any remaining enemy forces. Ground forces, head out!
- Valley Shadows: We have confirmed sighting of a flying enemy transport ship. We will deploy in the mountain region where you'll rendezvous with Ranger team. Make sure to equip long range weapons to attack the transport ships.
- Artillery: Hector troop variants, probably long-range support models, have started a ferocious assault. They're armed with plasma cannons. We have to stop the Hectors making landfall and destroy them. Good luck.
- Breaking Through: New walking-machine variants have reached the city. They continue to march unharmed despite multiple airstrikes. These machines have some sort of energy screen that blocks attacks. If we don't find a way to destroy their screens, we won't stand a chance. Ground troops are to attack the defensive screens and find a way to destroy the machines.
- Shining Stronghold: The Ravager transport ships have dropped something in the mountains. Intel has confirmed that it is a defensive screen. We are dispatching Fencers to the location. The Storm Team will provide support.
- Into the Depths: The giant bugs just keep coming. Things will only worsen as long as they have their nest. We need to strike them where they live. We will infiltrate the nest from the same point as last time, following the same route. When we are as deep as we can go, we will attack. We've no idea what to expect, so be careful.
- A Trap: The infiltration was a success. We were greatly outnumbered, so our casualties were high. The enemy is on familiar ground, which gives'em the edge. Expect an attack the moment you step inside the nest. Try to use the terrain to your advantage.
- Giant Robots: The Ravager's combat troops, the Hectors, have invaded the city. They are currently engaged by Ranger team. However, Hector reinforcements have arrived and are flanking Ranger team. Head out immediately and support the Ranger team.
- Anchored: The Ravager troops that attacked our defenses were under the mothership's command. Therefore, taking down the mothership would strike a mighty blow. Currently the mothership is anchored at the coast with a group of transport ships. Approach from the ground and attack all ships in the area.
- Silver City: We have confirmed underground tunnel entrances in the city. Giant organisms are coming from them...but there is a Retiarius in the area. It has made a web and is waiting for attackers. It will be difficult but we must destroy the tunnel entrance to save the citizens
- Crimson: We have confirmed a large number of giant aliens and we're leading them to an uninhabited part of the coast to contain the damage. Fencers will deploy to block the enemy and our snipers, already in place, will use that chance to exterminate them all. We want Storm Team to support.
- High-speed: High Capacity flying drones called "Reds" have invaded the city. They seem further enhanced since our last encounter. Direct the three snipers stationed in the area and destroy the enemy.
- Brute Force: The Rangers are consolidating their forces. It is the first time a large enemy has gathered. We cannot even count the number of Hectors. However, this is good for us. We are ready. We will attack them straight on and crush them. The battle will be on the plains. But we will also attack from the air. The troops will fan out from zone 1 to 5. Storm Team will fight in zone 2. This is Operation Brute Force
- Charge Phase 1: We succeeded in dealing a massive blow to the Ravagers. We must destroy the nest and exterminate the enemy before they can regroup. You enter the nest and find their queen. This will be a large-scale infiltration of their tunnels. The first phase will look for a route to the depths of the tunnels and secure it for troops to follow.
- Charge Phase 2: We have successfully infiltrated the nests. However, the deeper we go, the more intense the attacks. We have lost contact with almost half of our troops. The enemy has started acting in groups to flush out our troops and using traps to defeat our forces. Each squad needs to be careful and eliminate any enemy close to them.
- Charge Phase 3: We have arrived at the deepest part of the nest, so we enter the final stages of this operation. However, we have lost over half of our troops. The queen is somewhere in this area, surrounded by her minions. Storm Team is to link up with the Ranger team which is fighting to consolidate our strength and look for the queen.
- Thunder: A enemy mothership has invaded the city. She is formidable, but if we can shoot it down, the Ravagers will be dealt a great blow. The hopes of our allies across the world lie with this strategy and they have offered their support. The entire world has been attacked by the alien mothership fleet. We must destroy the mothership, but we'll have to deal with her escort. Focus on their defense squads first, then we can take down the mothership.
- Infiltration: The Retiarius have invaded buildings. The Wing Divers launched an attack, but were forced to retreat. There are underground tunnels in the area and spider-like aliens have emerged from them. Nearby squads are hurrying to help. Support the Wind Divers.
- Convergence: Ravager transport ships are converging at the port. According to reports, there is a force of a scoop unseen before. It is a sure sign that an all-out attack is imminent. We won't sit back and wait. We'll attack before they've gathered. This will be an extremely dangerous mission. Good luck.
- Inferno: The intensity of the Ravager's invasions keeps increasing. We are being overwhelmed. This battle will be the most difficult by far. The Ranger team has lost their commander from an enemy attack and are now in chaos. It's only a matter of time before they are destroyed. Go and offer them support immediately. Good luck Storm Team.
- Waterside Bugs:
There are 45 missions available as downloadable content.
There are 5 missions total for this DLC pack.
There are 20 missions total for this DLC pack.
There are 20 missions total for this DLC pack.
If you add the Original missions with the DLC missions there are a total of 130 missions! That's the most in the series so far.
|Main series||Monster Attack • Global Defense Force • Earth Defense Force 2017 • Earth Defense Force 2025|
|Spin-offs||Global Defense Force Tactics • Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon • Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable • Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair • Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders From Planet Space|